Saturday, March 1, 2014

Khan Academy Rocks my Math World!!






Good evening fellow teachers,

I am writing this post in the midst of making headpieces out of shower caps and toilet paper rolls. Why you say? I am a co-director for our Jr. High Drama Club, and our production of Grease opens next Friday!! (The headpieces are for Beauty School Dropout.)

Despite being knees deep in hot glue and toilet paper rolls I am SOO excited to tell you about my favorite math technology activity....Khan Academy! (My littles love it too because they earn badges and points.)

We use this app everyday during math stations. (While I am teaching my small groups!) You can either post a QR code, or download this nifty app:


When you first sign up with Khan Academy, you will navigate to the "Coach" section and create a username and password for each of your students. I tape these down to their desks to eliminate the, "I forgot the password" question overflow. :)

Why do I love this site? Let me count the ways:
1. It is free!!
2. The kids work at their own pace! The site adds activities when the students are ready for them. 
3. Khan Academy sends me a weekly e-mail on student progress as well as what skills they have spent their time on. (You can also login at anytime to see this information and to add skills to practice.)
4. The kids earn badges and "energy points" and LOVE to tell me about their successes. 
5. Did I mention it is FREE?!?!
6. If you are unable to help a student with a question right away, Khan Academy has built in video tutoring!
7. I can add activities to student's dashboards that I want them to work on!!
8. FREE!

LOVE. THIS. SITE. 

I would be glad to help any of y'all with questions about Khan Academy!

Thanks for stopping by, 











No comments:

Post a Comment