Saturday, June 20, 2015

Summer Study: Daily 5 Chapter 1



Welcome to our first installment of our summer book study on the second edition of Daily 5. (Hosted by the amazing Brenda from Primary Inspired.)  Some amazing changes have occurred in the  new edition and I CAN'T WAIT to get into it this summer! 


I have been using Daily 5 in my classroom for the last four years. I LOVE it. This past school year I changed schools ( luckily stayed in the same grade) and was asked to lead a Daily 5 PLC. This led to me getting the second edition of the book by the amazing sisters! 

Chapter 1: How has Daily 5 Evolved?
 I love the intro by the sisters describing how their teaching has evolved over the years. (We ALL know how hectic the first few years feel....ugh!!)
Like the sisters, Daily 5 truly has changed my teaching during my literacy block!
Before you would see me leading whole group instruction for 30 minutes (BORING) and then working with small groups for an hour. (While chaos ensued among the "independent" workers...)

Now the teaching minutes are about the same, but I LOVE the minilesson concept. 
Typically I plan my minilessons this way:
 Minilesson #1: Phonics/Spelling Sound
Minielsson #2: Reading Skill/Strategy
                               Minilesson #3: Grammar (I have a separate Writer's Workshop block.)
The main things Chapter 1 focuses on are the management of Daily 5 and some changes the sisters have made to the framework. 
One of my kiddos at the Working on Writing choice. I like to provide a variety of activities at my writing table for them to choose from. 
How you manage Daily 5 in your classroom is completely up to you!! I prefer to ask for student choice after each minilesson. The students are GREAT at this by October-November. (Now that is not to say I don't need to revisit or completely reteach it from time to time!) 
I do four rounds each day for 15 minutes each. 
Goal for next year.....maybe 3 rounds of 20 minutes each?? 
We will get more into how to run Daily 5 in another post (Where I PROMISE to have more pictures of what Daily 5 looks like in my room!!)

What changes did the sisters make in the second edition? They now only do three rounds of Daily 5 a day instead of all 5...WHEW!! They are real life teachers...just like the rest of us...with no time to spare! 

Another BIG change is the order they introduce the choices. Read to Self is still the first choice, but instead of Read to Someone being second, they moved to Work on Writing. I LOVE this change. Check out the pics below of my Read to Self and Work on Writing areas. 
My Reading Deck. My kiddos read here and bookshop here.
Another view of the deck.


My ever growing writing center. I have BIG plans for this..
I am so glad you are tuning in with us for this dive into Daily 5!
Thanks for stopping by!





3 comments:

  1. You have a reading desk?!? Ohmygoodness! I would definitely want to grab a book and read there. How awesome?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to fully implement this next year! I tend to start off great, then never make it to 100% implementation! Our book study should help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Reading Deck is super cool -love it. Kids love that kind of novelty ...and unexpected place in a classroom. Funny, I have two bean bags in a corner with two large stuffed bears and call it the Bear Cave -- popular place!!

    The Red Brick Road Teacher

    ReplyDelete